Prev: Re: gzg-d Digest V2013 #12 Next: Re: FT: Squadron Question

Re: gzg-d Digest V2013 #12

From: Richard Bell <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:00:44 -0700
Subject: Re: gzg-d Digest V2013 #12

For a way to explain why fighter bays are the way they are, I suggest
the
following:  The hangar deck is six mass points per fighter squadron, but
all it does is store fighters.	The hangar deck does not have the room
rearm fighters.  The launch/recovery bay is 9 mass, but it can launch,
recover and rearm a fighter squadron, but not all at the same time.  In
pinch, it can even store a fighter squadron, but that complicates arming
carrier alph strike.  Fighter operations are as follows:  Bay 'recovers'
squadron from the hangar, bay arms/fuels fighter squadron, and bay
launches
the squadron.  After launching the presumably armed squadron stored in
the
bay, the bay can lauch subsequent squadrons every three turns.	Arming
all
of the squadrons before cycling them through the launchers is
problematic,
as there is no 'swap space' to park fighters (unless the carrier sets
aside
another six mass points for it).

Carriers with no swap space launch the combat space patrol and load each
squadron into the bay to arm it and send it back to the hangar.  Each
in-arm-back cycle takes three turns, but the last one only takes two if
you
do not need to rearm and refuel the combat space patrol.  After loading
up
the fighters, each bay can launch a squadron every other turn.