Prev: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits... Next: Re: GEOHEX Terrain

Fleet Initiative

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 03:07:07 -0500
Subject: Fleet Initiative

Another thing I did in the second playtest of my stargrunt scenario
and at ECC was a form of fleet initiative.

At the start, we rolled D6 for each captain. Given the size of the
ships and their rarity in the SG universe, I figured there were no
incompetents at the helm. Anyone who got a 6 was 'legendary' and
likely the admiral.

So, side initiative was determined as follows:
Each player rolls and contributes 1D6 worth of value to the pool. In
our game at ECC, that meant each side's pool had 2d6 (in the playtest,
I think it was 3).

Now, the 'legendary' captain (admiral, whatever he is) contributes 1D6
for his player but he gets to roll 2D6 and take the best one. An
incompetent, if he'd been there, would have rolled 2 and taken the
worst.

I kept it so that the number of dice on each side were balanced. I
figure this represents a sort of aggregate contribution from the
various ship's officers and the legendary leaders contributions can
well persist beyond their own span (for the rest of a game) as they
include the training, insight, etc. passed on to subordinates.

With uneven player counts, I'd let somebody roll 2 seperate dice or
maybe let one side use slightly bigger dice or something.

This was 'per player' not 'per ship'.

As it turned out, the Tauri maybe won the initiative once. They'd roll
good dice every so often, but the Lucians would pull out a 1 or 2
point better good roll. That had a bit to do with the Tauri's misery.

Tom

Prev: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits... Next: Re: GEOHEX Terrain