Prev: Re: Alternate Pulsers and Classed Pulse Torps and other items Next: RE: GEOHEX Terrain

RE: GEOHEX Terrain

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 14:27:55 -0500
Subject: RE: GEOHEX Terrain

In my example:

I was cutting squares, so I used a large carpenter's square as a guide
held
onto the work piece by a bit of hand pressure. I tried to cut straight
vertical, but across the 0.5 to 1" working depth (depended on which slab
of
foam), I got some deviance inward or outward between top and bottom of
the
cut because I either didn't hold it quite straight or the blade flexed a
bit.

To me, a jig would hold any blade at both ends, meaning you would not
have
this sort of deviation, but the issue there then is 'how to saw'?
Pulling a
work piece across a blade with no movement without tearing requires a
damnably sharp blade.

Using a wire, you need a sturdy enough wire under enough tension to keep
it
from deflecting in the middle even if it is held top and bottom. I
wonder
sometimes if some sort of large heated knife would be the answer, but
that
would be a very persnickety thing as well since you don't want to ever
stop
with something like that for even a moment and cuts would have to be
fast
and precise. Even with a wire, hesitation can burn a work piece.

Having a tabletop cutter with the wire suspended, held at both ends,
adjustable as to angle for bevelling, and with enough clearance to let
you
run big work stock through it is no mean feat. There are commercial
cutters
like this and you can build them at home, but they take up some space.

It's a pity nobody has convinced 3M to spit out 1' hexagons....

TomB

Prev: Re: Alternate Pulsers and Classed Pulse Torps and other items Next: RE: GEOHEX Terrain