Prev: Re: Our choice of factions and models for games Next: Oh John, No!

Re: Our choice of factions and models for games

From: John Lerchey <lerchey@g...>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:15:18 -0500
Subject: Re: Our choice of factions and models for games

One again, I think that TomB and I are in full agreement.  I think that
the
reasons that many of us might choose to differentiate our sci-fi
factions
is about fun and "personal uniqueness".  There is something endearing
about
my Order forces (religion-based Germans) using mostly tracked and
wheeled
vehicles (lots of industrial strength, but don't have the right mix of
higher tech materials and maint personnel for more hover and grav - just
my
political/doctrinal PSB to all me to use lots of tracked tanks!) all
painted gray.  OTOH, my New Republic of America forces have a somewhat
broader mix - tracked MBTs, hover scouts, hover APCs and OGRE/Bolos in
the
mix.  Other forces will tend to follow similar trends toward uniqueness
simply because I like them that way.  My Dominion will use mostly
Brigade
wheeled SAC vehicles.  My FSE DBLE task force will use Brigade hover
tanks
with some GZG hover scout cars and such thrown in.  My alien Kif use GZG
grav vehicles exclusively 'cause it fits their background.

All of this isn't to say that there isn't some overlap.  My Order
missile
support tanks have the same box launchers as are found on the NRA
missile
tanks - but they use different chassis.

I find it kind of cool that there are enough models available from
various
manufacturers that I don't *have* to use the same tanks in multiple
forces.  While in WWII a tank was a tank, you could see clear
differences
between German - U.S. - British - Russian designs.  Kind of neat that
with
lend-lease you can field U.S. tanks in British and Russian forces, but
you
don't have to.

It's still all games, and it's still fun building and painting. :)

John Lerchey
Thinker of thinks,
Doer of little,
Dreamer of dreams.
Or maybe I'm just lazy.

Prev: Re: Our choice of factions and models for games Next: Oh John, No!