Prev: RE: More future history questions - USA (and Canada apparently) Next: Re: More future history questions - USA (and Canada apparently)

Re: More future history questions - USA (and Canada apparently)

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 15:56:01 +0000
Subject: Re: More future history questions - USA (and Canada apparently)

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 02:11:10AM -0500, Tom B wrote:

>Still, I don't think any of these are feasible as long as the US
retains
>its distinct national character. Until the US finally decides the great
>experiment has failed or that being an American is more important than
>being a (insert regional allegiance), the US isn't going anywhere.

In the Crimson Skies setting, the destruction of the USA comes from
several different angles:

- The influenza epidemic after the Great War is more severe, meaning
that a lot of places become suspicious of strangers and cut
communications with possibly-infected neighbours;

- Support for Prohibition is stronger but tends to be local: federal
Prohibition meets a lot more opposition from places that want to make
their own decisions about alcohol, and fails, but individual
states/counties/towns enact their own versions.

- A new, nastier, flu epidemic breaks out in 1927, and people are
already willing to shut borders (particularly wet state / dry state
borders).

- The stock market crash is the last straw.

But as you see it takes quite a bit of setting up...