Prev: Re: More future history questions - UK Next: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention XV - Preregistration

Re: More future history questions - UK

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:07:41 +1100
Subject: Re: More future history questions - UK

John Tailby wrote:

>I am not sure why Australlia and NZ would want to take
>responsibility for pacific islands. I can see lots of quid but
>little pro quo coming back.

[munch]

>Places like East Timor, Solomons and Papua New Guniea could form
>part of an oceanic union but they need to be contributing members
>not just a cash drain for otherwise struggling economies.

Well, it could be for the same reason that the US is in
Afghanistan, or Ethopia and Kenya in Somalia, to stop
such places becoming 'failed states' that various evil
types can use as a base of operations. Expensive, but
neglect could be more so.

Or perhaps it is the best chance of such small places
becoming contributing members. There are economies of
scale in setting up a government, justice and police,
defensive military, etc. (Even if you regard government
as wholly non-productive, less resources are wasted on
one prime minister than a dozen.)

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: Re: More future history questions - UK Next: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention XV - Preregistration