Prev: Meteorite aged wine.... Next: Re: More future history questions - UK

Re: More future history questions - UK

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:52:02 +1300 (NZDT)
Subject: Re: More future history questions - UK

From: Phillip Atcliffe atcliffe@ntlworld.com

Surely staying in the EU has a lot to do with what kind of financial
pain it will cause the economy. If the UK needs to start bailing out
Greece and other EU basket case economies on the back of the UK
recession I don't imagine that would be very popular.

It will be interesting to see what the Scottish independance movement
does to the UK. If Scotland goes independant would Wales follow and
would losing Scotland be good for the English economy or not? For the
Royal Navy to give up it's scotish ports and relocate them to Newcastle
would be a major economic switch of funding and employment. I don't see
the RN giving up parts of it's fleet to Scotland to all the Scots to
have a navy to protect their economic resources.

I am sure that Australia and NZ would like the chance to supply UK
without EU import duties and subsidies clipping their ticket. Other
commonwealth countries would likely enjoy the opportunity to supply UK
again, it might not be at the discounted prices of old but would be good
for both sides. Especially the UK if the alternative is expensive EU
products. it could also develop some markets for UK goods

Then the UK needs to develop an economy that is more than a financial
market in London. Engineering and services have always been what the UK
provided to it's trading partners they just need a market for their
goods.

Prev: Meteorite aged wine.... Next: Re: More future history questions - UK