Prev: Conquests- rewriting (future) history....? Next: Re: New night time lapse video sequence - Seneca Rocks

Re: Homework assignment

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t...>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:07:32 +0200
Subject: Re: Homework assignment

Tom B schrieb:
> textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
> http://www.stargrunt.ca/settings_hist/gzg_timeline/gzg_timeline.htm
>
> Assignment/Competition:
>
> Knowing as you do the major and minor factions in the GZGverse, put
together
> an alternate timeline of you own for submission to the list. Assume
the idea
> is to preserve a 'fair portion' of the factions and some of the major
events
> of the timeline (where that makes sense).
>
> Write up a replacement timeline and perhaps a few point form notes
> explaining any major factional or flavour changes in the setting.

One idea is to let the GZG-verse start as alternate history some decades

in the past, rather than as purely a near-future SF development, that is

likely to be overtaken by events anyway.

Possible starting points could be
- some Victorian SF setting
- The Cold War gone hot at some point (Cuban Missile Crisis, for
example)

One idea that I find especially intriguing is the following:

- Sometime in Summer/Autumn 1941 Adolf Hitler is killed under
circumstances never properly clearer up. The Wehrmacht takes over
Germany, purging the nastier elements of the Nazi Party and establishing

a moderate military dictatorship.

Immediate consequences:
  - The holocaust, barely started, is stopped. While Jews continue to be

a suppressed minority under German rule, they are not exterminated.
  - Policy in the conquered territories of the Soviet Uniion is changed
to make it attractive for the people to side with the Germans, among
others, a putative Romanov heir is presented as future Czar (leading to
the later Romanov hegemony). With their help, the Wehmacht fights the
Soviet to a standstill.
  - Less threatened by the Nazis, the US do not declare War on Germany
and concentrate on Japan instead.
  - Britain is in a difficult position and ends up making peace with
Germany and joining a confederation with US (a project actually
suggested by Churchill at the time), thus creating the NAC.
- The Pacific War is finished more quickly, before the Manhattan project

  achieves results. Politicians out for a "peace dividend" stop this
"boondoggle". The plans for nuclear weapons are shelved. Other powers,
through spying and their own scientists become aware of the
possibilities, but none actually go to the effort needed to actually try

to build the bomb.

Longer term consequences are a blend of actual history and GZG ideas:
- Lots of Jews emigrate to Palestine, creating Israel pretty much as it
actually happened.
- German-held territories are controlled not directly, but through
various Quisling regimes. Over the years, Germany loses its grip over
Europe and the various GZG powers emerge, Germany becoming the NSL,
Vichy France, Fascist Italy, Franco Spain etc. becoming the FSE. Also,
these dictotership mutate into democratic countries as the result of
secular trends toward more liberal governments.
- Decolonization of Africa and Asia goes forward basically as in the
present history. Later developments lead to
- The Communist takeover in China results in actual union with Russia
(the old Cold Warriors' nightmare), thus forming the ESU.
- The UN is formed pretty much as in real history. All sides agree that
the world needs a place to settel disputes short of massive wars.

Certainly not too nice a place, not black-and-white, but lots of grey,
and one with an intriguing mix of possibilities.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Conquests- rewriting (future) history....? Next: Re: New night time lapse video sequence - Seneca Rocks