Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:57:59 +0100
Subject: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

On Thursday 20 October 2011 19:03:41 Indy wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Jerry Han <jhan@warpfish.com> wrote:
> > On 20/10/2011 11:58 AM, Damond Walker wrote:
> > Case in point: all my friends loved Star Trek, but none of us played
> > Star Fleet Battles because it just took too damn long.  We really
> > liked the ideas behind Renegade Legion, but, when we actually came
> > play the game, we found it awkward and unwieldy, and we put it away.
> > How many of us have picked up a game, played it, and then decided
that we
> > weren't going to play it anymore?  What makes us decide that we're
> > not going to play the game?  The plot?  Or whether or not the game
is
> > fun?
>
> Alternate case in point. When I first got into FT, I did so for the
ease of
> playability of the rules set (I was coming from SFB at the time).
However,
> while I liked the rules as they stood, I found the timeline at the
time to
> be wanting, and I wanted more fluff to my universe that I was going to
play
> in. I'm in no way imaginative enough to just make it all up myself.
:-)

I got into GZG products when I bought some nice
looking starship models for use in my own space combat game. Then I
found out they had rules associated with them, and decided I liked
FT better than my own Delta Vee.

B5 Wars I got and played because I liked the background. SFB I avoided
because I disliked the background. I'll buy Traveller models whenever
I find them, because I like the background. I've never played any games
with them however.

I like the Saganami Island setting, but I've never persuaded anyone
to try playing a game of it, and though I've bought a few models, I
won't buy any more because they're boring.

FT is rare in that I didn't get into it because of the background.

The FT fluff is interesting in that it gives instant rivalries for
wargaming (and people can attach their own prejudices against the
Brits, French, Russians, Germans etc to make it fun), but there's
not really enough there for roleplaying in.

I don't think that we've ever once used the fluff for anything other
than choice of silly accents and types of insults to hurl at each
other whilst playing.

--
Be seeing you,	      Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.		      Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn