Prev: Re: Space Geography Next: Re: Space Geography

Re: Space Geography

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:10:25 -0400
Subject: Re: Space Geography

At 10:24 AM +1000 9/26/11, Robert N Bryett wrote:
>On 25/09/2011, at 06:46 , Tom B wrote:
>
>> c) Stealth: I'm thinking that a ship ought to be able (with a minimal
PSB) to be able sink heat locally for some time. This is why I proposed
a short period (12, 24, 48 hours) where a ship can have thermal stealth.

>How exactly, without resorting to chanting-druids-in-the-engine-room
physics? If you're going to propose heat-sinks of some kind (ice
tanks?), just what mass are you going to ascribe to them, bearing in
mind the rather considerable energy they're going to have to absorb?

Seems to me the best way to deal with this problem is to snooker the
defenders into committing to where you are not. You do this buy bringing
in FTL drones that are effectively decoys and look like something
they're not.

If the defender can sit pat and cover a few bases he's good. If he has
to try to cover shipping, and more high value targets than he has task
forces for, it'll get interesting.
-		  Data Center Operations Group		       -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		     One CNN Center SE0813 E   -
- Internet Technologies   --	     Data Center Operations    -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri     (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)    -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	   ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
- Office: 404-588-6191		    e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -
-	      Emergency Power-off != Door release!	       -

Prev: Re: Space Geography Next: Re: Space Geography