Prev: Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling Next: RE: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling

Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling

From: Tamsin Piper <Tamsin@t...>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 01:44:29 +0100
Subject: Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling

>For building 25-28mm vehicles (for casting), what sort of material is
best
>for the bulk body of the vehicle? I've wondered about wood blocks or
UHD
>plastic (but I don't think many adhesives will stick to this stuff to
adhere
>the details)... but I really don't know.
>
>They'd be larger bulky pieces, to which detail would be affixed, but
they'd
>need to be able to be at least grossly shaped and seems like you'd use
huge
>piles of sculpy (more than seems sensible) if you went that route for
the
>main shape component of a 28mm vehicle (it's bad enough how much resin
you'd
>use to cast them - I'm looking at interior block insertion to reduce
resin
>use and maybe even adding Alumalite microbaloons to cut the resin
volume).

>Any tips or thoughts on these fronts appreciated.
>
>Tom

A possible cheap option for the filler on your masters would be to
cut a slightly undersized styrofoam block (or several in the basic
shape of the vehicle and do the sculpty/green stuff over that for the
detailing.

If you are making several variants on the same basic hull shape, it
may be worth getting the styrofoam CNC milled at a local model
supplies store or engineer.

Another alternative - if you are good with 3D modeling software -
would be to do your designs on your 'puter then upload them to
Shapeways and get the prototypes 3D-printed by them. An advantage of
doing this is that you can  do the design once at say 25/28mm then
just adjust the scaling for 15mm or 5/6 mm. Hmmm, I wonder if we
could persuade the T-man to do something like that so we can get the
15mm range as 25mm?

Prev: Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling Next: RE: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling