Prev: Re: [GZG] test Next: Re: [GZG] [SG2] A few house rule questions.

Re: [GZG] [SG2] A few house rule questions.

From: Seamus <fomorianwolf@g...>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:36:11 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG2] A few house rule questions.

> My EW rules are generally:
> - Spend an action to gain N EW chits (N is 3 typically on vehicles,
maybe 4
> on a purpose built EW vehicle, typically 2 on a backpack unit).
> - That's really the only mod I apply, though I'm of the opinion
jamming
> shoulder fired or vehicle missile systems is maybe questionable.
>
> RFACs and even HMGs are problematic.
>
> For an HMG (12.7 mm for instance or 14.5 mm), I use a D16* for impact
(I
> have them just for this purpose) and a D10 for FP. They tend to fire a
> little slower than the weapons with smaller cartridges but do way more
> damage when they hit. If loaded with AP ammo, I treat them as a class
1
> weapon vs. vehicles (for penetration effects). But any of these
weapons,
> fired over open or basic optical sights, I resolve with an FP die and
> Quality die rather than a fire control die, or they are absolutely
useless.

> And then we get to RFAC.
>
> If we're talking about a 30-40mm chaingun like a big brother of a
> Bushmaster, they aren't super fast firing. They might justify the
existing
> rules (although D10 damage is too light, I'd shift to D12 at least for
class
> 1, and D12 x 2 for class 2. It's not perfect, but it more or less
works.

> But something like a fast-firing multi-barrelled Gatling (20mm PIVAD
or the
> like or 23mm ZSU) is going to be several kinds of horror. Infantry
fear
> attacking ADA with good justification (the Afghans in 2000 or 2001 who
road
> at Taliban positions containing multiple ZSU 23-4s are a special brand
of
> crazy).
>
> I might tree a Gatling as a multi-mount and give it multiple FP dice.
And a
> minimum of D10 or D12 FP. Impact won't be all that high (D12 would be
fine)
> but FP should be horredous. OTOH, you run through ammo ridiculously
fast, so
> maybe any some number of ones rolled on the dice should eventually
aggregate
> to 'out of ammo'.
>
> 25mm Bushmaster: Fire Control (based on electronic quality, D8 or
D10),
> Impact D12, class 1 weapon.
> 20mm PIVAD: Firepower Die maybe 2 or 3 D12 or D16 if you have them,
Impact
> D10 or D12, class 1 weapon.
> 13mm HMG: Firepower Die D10 Impact Die D16 (or D12 if you only have
that)
> 30mm GAU-8: Firepower Die maybe 3 D12, Impact 2d12.
>
> The PIVAD and GAU-8 I might make run out of ammo after 6 rolls of 1 on
> die. They eat it far faster than any other similar weapon.
>
> Of course, it is also possible to imagine small class MDCs that should
have
> similar (but better) stats (small, high rate of fire railguns) as well
as
> laser gatlings (ouch).

 Interesting points. I haven't seen a D16 in a long time, but I used to
have
one.

> As to the Morale effects... I don't think so. You can't be that
selective.
> Getting shot at by a HAMR doesn't cause that. Getting attacked with an
MDC
> or HEL is probably terrifying (the HEL especially should easily hit)
and
> getting attacked with a small rapid firing DFFG does not bear
consideration,
> nor getting SLAMed. Why is the autocannon or HMG so scary? is it that
much
> more scary than AGLs or RRs or GMS/P or IAVRs? I don't think so. They
should
> all scare the crap out of any poor quality infantry, but that's
already
> built into the game. Weapon size is not generally factored into any
morale
> check (maybe there should be a modifier based on class of attacking
weapon,
> but then it would treat all systems equally).

Morale check, perhaps not. Any special rules regarding suppression?

> So I'll say no to morale effects unless you are going to more
generally
> overhaul the system. HMGs and RFACs are scary, but so are most of the
other
> weapons of the near-ish future.
>
> Tom B

 Yeah, after I thought about it, it would be a bit odd.

 -Seamus

--
You itch! Of COURSE you itch! We ALL itch! Now, shut up and get some
sleep.

Prev: Re: [GZG] test Next: Re: [GZG] [SG2] A few house rule questions.