Prev: [GZG] (no subject) Next: Re: [GZG] (no subject)

Re: [GZG] Space, Excel, and the reoccuring project

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:50:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Space, Excel, and the reoccuring project

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:31:29PM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:

>Coordinate transformations are relatively easy. I'll see what I can
>knock together.

OK, here's a coordinate transformer.

http://firedrake.org/roger/ft/coordtransform.ods
http://firedrake.org/roger/ft/coordtransform.xls

I wrote it in OpenOffice; I don't do Windows, so I have no idea how well
it'll work under Excel.

Put into the first column of cells the XYZ coordinates of your base
system, and the rotation angles you want to use (these are Euler angles,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles - if you don't care, just put
a value from -180 to +180 into each cell).

The rows at the bottom show star system names and coordinates -
paste in pre-transformation on the left, get post-transformation on the
right. (Ignore the "1" column in each case.) Duplicate the last row to
get more stars.

You'll probably want to reformat the numbers! This isn't meant to be
pretty, just to get the job done reasonably quickly.

Is this roughly the sort of thing you were after?

Roger

Prev: [GZG] (no subject) Next: Re: [GZG] (no subject)