Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG hi-mob tank in action. Next: [GZG] From GZG - update on mail-order situation....

Re: [GZG] Christmas Painting Project

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 23:11:41 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Christmas Painting Project

22:39, Indy wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Allan Goodall <agoodall@hyperbear.com
> <mailto:agoodall@hyperbear.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Phillip Atcliffe
>     <atcliffe@ntlworld.com <mailto:atcliffe@ntlworld.com>> wrote:
>
>	  Maybe not to you, Tom, but the SSC and the Leif have a devoted
>	  coterie of followers on places like starshipmodeller.com
>	  <http://starshipmodeller.com>. Some people might find HNoI a
>	  bit obscure.... 8-) (I named my SFB Kzinti SCS that after the
>	  original...)
>

>     I'm glad this came up. Big time nostalgia for me. I had the AMT
>     "Interplanetary UFO" model kit, complete with the little ship
>     inside the hangar bay, which was also formed of glow-in-the-dark
>     plastic.
>
>     I had no idea it began life as a different kit.
>

> Likewise until I saw Winchell's post on FB. I still have my
> Interplanetary UFO model, although it has seen better (and cleaner)
> days. The scout ship is actually sitting on my desk not 2' from me.
> :-D  The mothership is down in the basement with the rest of my
> gaming/modeling stuff.
...which may mean that neither of you are aware that there are supposed
to be engine pieces inside the side fairings, because AMT left them out
of the UFO re-issue, as did Round 2 from the recent re-release. It's not

a very good place to have any sort of reaction engine, since the exhaust

has to go over the aft part of the wing root, but that's where Jeffries
put them. As a former Harrier engineer, it makes my skin crawl at the
thought of the acoustic fatigue on the aft hull... ;-)

The original kit pieces were sort of rotors made in transparent red
plastic with a chrome centrepiece that attached to the hull; they were
transparent so that they could have light bulbs inside like the /Star
Trek/ kits (/Enterprise /and D-7), though the battery case was in the
base of the stand rather than in the ship itself. Or that's what you
were supposed to do; I put the batteries in the hull, hidden from view
by the landing bay which I didn't glue into place and cobbled up a
support structure for to keep it and the bay doors in position when I
didn't need to get at the connections. Worked well enough.
Unfortunately, I had to leave that model behind when I moved to the UK.

Federation models have replacement engine parts for sale, though they're

solid resin rather than transparent plastic. I have a set that I'm going

to use with the Round 2 kit, but as I want to build it as the Old Mac,
I'm thinking about how to make a better engine arrangement; I want to
extend the side engine fairings back along the hull to beyond the
trailing edge of the wing, but I'm still working out how. Oh well,
that's half the fun of changing a model...

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG hi-mob tank in action. Next: [GZG] From GZG - update on mail-order situation....