Prev: Re: [GZG] Hugh's New Fighter/Point Defence rules Next: [GZG] Sa'Vasku for sale on ebay.

[GZG] Hugh's New Fighter/Point Defence rules

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 15:19:25 -0500
Subject: [GZG] Hugh's New Fighter/Point Defence rules

"It seems as if this was a small recreation of the Can-Am battle at GZG
ECC
lo so many years ago, where the American force fielded a fighter-*heavy*
fleet and the Canadians had a mixed arms force (I don't remember if or
how
many fighters the Canadians might have had; if they had any, it was a
negligible amount, as was their anti-fighter capability). The Canadians
had
their heads handed to them, the Americans took little or no damage."
-------
Yes, well, there was an *intelligence failure* that led to this. When my
pre-game intelligence was something like 'the bars are all full' or
something like that, I think I took that to mean all the fighter pilots
were
groundside, rather than on the fleet, where what it meant was 'they've
brought every fighter they could buy borrow or steel'.

And Jim's ship got away unscathed. Adrian's was eaten by fighters and
mine
was damaged by fighters and by the direct fire once it was the only
target
(since Jim purposefully or accidentally missed the gravitational
slingshot
manouver to engage the enemy fleet).

I believe the other side had perhaps 25+ fighter groups, of mixed types,
and
we had possibly 4 or 6 groups of Heavy Interceptors. Those things killed
lot of enemy fighters, as did our PDS DDs (of which we did not have
enough
due to the intelligence failure). But with a huge enemy wave, and
existing
FB rules, even with losses, they still had a boatload of fighters who
lurked, struck single targets who had less than 10 PDS, and just ate
their
way through our capships.

It was inglorious, but I think of it like the raid on Dieppe; It was a
learning experience for some future game where I make sure my
intelligence
people write clear summaries like "I counted over 500 pilots in the
bars,
all wearing ship's squadron flashes for various vessels."

Tom

Prev: Re: [GZG] Hugh's New Fighter/Point Defence rules Next: [GZG] Sa'Vasku for sale on ebay.