Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24 Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:20:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

>On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 03:46:38AM -0700, Robert Makowsky wrote:
>>Solving the overwhelming fighters or overwhelming missiles win
>>problem should be
>>first off.  After that small issues that can be exploited will not
>>have the same
>>effect.
>
>Yes, I agree here. I'm not proposing the "fake campaign" idea as a way
>of making up for rule problems elsewhere. Well, mostly...
>
>...because there's a fundamental unrealism about the FT universe, and
>that's that there are multiple weapon technologies which overall are
>about as good as each other. There's never really happened in naval
>warfare in the real world; we didn't see one side using cannon while
the
>other side had something else. The historical approach is much closer
>"holy crap, this has just made an entire class of expensive ships
>obsolete". (But - all together now - "that's not fun to game".)
>
>So if missiles are balanced for fully-loaded undamaged ships in
tactical
>play (leaving aside the extreme difficulty of doing that), they _won't_
>be balanced in a campaign game where each missile ship needs a
>logistical tail that simply isn't present for beam ships.
>
>In fact one might suggest a separate point system - in a campaign game,
>a missile ship should be substantially cheaper than in a tactical
>game...

Just an off-the-cuff idea to add to the discussion, prompted by
Roger's post above:

If folks bring ordnance-heavy ships and want them at fully supplied
at the start of the game, make them pay for suitable fleet munitions
tenders as part of their force; if they choose NOT to do this, then
all ordnance-carrying ships have only a random % of their standard
loadouts to represent ordnance already expended in earlier
engagements....?

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24 Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24