Prev: [GZG] Hope this isn't spamming anyone here...but... Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:20:46 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

John Atkinson wrote:

>How effectively do explosions propagate in a vacuum? I don't have a
>PhD in the subject, but the practical experience I have with
>explosives suggests that past the immediate vicinity of the
>explosives (immediate vicinity being roughly relative to the square
>root of the quantity of explosives), much of the damage is done by
>shock wave -- which energy transmitted by compression of air.	No
>air, no shock wave.

For normal explosives, you're spot on. While the explosives do
generate a certain amount of gas of their own, it rarefies *very*
rapidly when there's no atmosphere for the blast wave to propagate into.

For nukes, you've got a radiation wave that will do Nasty Things to
whatever it hits... but nukes tend to be tricky to set off even on
purpose; they're far harder still to set off by accident :-/

>So explosions would be really destructive on that ship,

...unless you evacuate/attenuate the onboard atmosphere when clearing
the ship for action in order to reduce the potential for blast damage...

/Oerjan

Prev: [GZG] Hope this isn't spamming anyone here...but... Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24