Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 14 Next: [GZG] New GZG photos from Colours Wargames Show

Re: [GZG] Futuristic batteries

From: Mike Stanczyk <stanczyk@p...>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:39:57 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Futuristic batteries

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, John Atkinson wrote:

>> I was thinking more of Larry Niven's molecular-distortion battery:
>> "I saw the white flash of a molecular-distortion battery rupturing
among
>> the explosions, a big one near full charge.  Not many near that
would
>> survive."
>
> If it's that dangerous, they wouldn't be in common usage except for
> applications where they had NO choice whatsoever.  No one is going to
> want effective hand grenades in the flashlight his kids take camping.
> And that would be something that WOULD have a centrally located
> manufacturing process (presuming, of course, they are rechargeable)
> because of the safety/security considerations.

Your point is well taken, but I think it's a matter of relative danger.
We don't see what it takes to force a md battery to critical failure.
It could be harder than a car-crash.  We drive cars with 15-20 gallons
of
gas around all the time.

John, have you given any thought about the mini fuel cell technology
that
might make it into consumer technology?  It would be like a ethanol
powered
flashlight...

Gzg-l mailing list
Gzg-l@mail.csua.berkeley.edu

Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 14 Next: [GZG] New GZG photos from Colours Wargames Show