Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 05:06:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

name info. I had figured AH was a place localized name. I
wasn't sure if it had been some sort of historical battleground in the
past.

I played Gunslinger, Third Reich, Civilization as well and Richtofen's
War
as I recall (maybe others). I don't really think of Gunslinger as a
class
chit-wargame because of the multiplayer aspect. I'd have to go check who
did
Source of the Nile and who did Merchant of Venus.

My condemnation of old chit-games and their hardcore players isn't
directed
so much at any MP games or in any way at modern boardgames (I quite like
Napoleonic Wars, Halls of Montezuema (if you can understand the rules),
and
Twilight Struggle). And games like Carcassone and others are a whole
different ballgame and attract a whole different crowd of gamer.

I suppose, to be fair, if I'd played a lot of GW miniatures games
(shudder),
I'd probably have hit some pretty competitive minis gamers. Or maybe
DBA.
Both gave me the same bad vibe and I avoided them. It's the thing I
liked
least about SFB in the old days - it spurred players on to being real
rules-weasels because of the competitive aspect.

I don't mind a serious historical game (board or miniatures), but I want
play it with folks who are happy to win or lose and who aren't going to
make
the experience painful.

Tom B

PS - Air War was way too complex a modelling of reality to be a fun
game.
Most of our fights didn't resemble dogfights so much as high speed
jousts
with no actual shooting.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes