Prev: [GZG] FMAS Thrust Next: Re: [GZG] FMAS Thrust

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 35, Issue 9

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:22:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 35, Issue 9

to say there was no physical way possible to fly faster than
the speed of sound. Proved that wrong, didn't we? Now it's common-place
knowledge. :^)
Mk

=====

People also said we'd be flying to work, living on Mars or the moon,
etc. by
2000 (or sooner). There's a lot of things we think we'll be able to do
or
ways we think we'll be able to use things (using nukes for civil
engineering
projects like creating reservoirs, for instance) that turn out to be not
feasible.

The dynamics of the human platform will limit the ability of infantry to
identify, select, and engage targets on the move. You have to have a
high SA
(situational awareness) in combat, and when moving, your SA tends to be
lower (one reason we stop when we want higher SA). Also, you have to be
able
to concentrate on the movement itself at times. Then there's the issue
of
hitting what you aim at.

So you are clearly talking about 3 different improvements that would be
required:
a) Ability to maintain SA while on the move to spot targets and identify
targets from non-targets and to prioritize them
b) Ability to move smoothly and without problems or risk while
identifying
targets on the move
c) Ability to hit targets on the move with man portable weapons

Now, tanks can do all of this sort of thing because *they are big* and
have
room for suspensions, stabilization systems for guns, computer fire
control,
sensor rigs, and even then, point A) is still very hard (many inputs on
the
battlefield and managing that is still a big challenge) and point B) is
moderately difficult (as good as stabilization is, when you bump through
rough terrain, you do experience disruptive motion that may interrupt
line
of sight, etc).

A human in powered armour might manage more of what you are talking
about,
but a human without powered armour and using the kind of weapons seen on
GZG
miniatures (mostly rifles of 20 years from now AFAICS) is not going to
be
capable of that.

Ground combat wise, we are imitating life from WWII to 2040 at best with
SG
or DS. 2300? Ground combat may not even happen in the sense we think of
and
one would expect a very heavy drone and AI contigent not seen in the
GZGverse. The minis and the rules are modern or mid-to-late 20th century
+ a
few sci-fi bolts ons.

So, in that environment, moving and shooting will be challenging. If you
want to assume a steady harness for the squad LMG, reducing its move and
shoot penalty, that's okay too. But most of the time, moving and
shooting
will still really mess you up as far as putting out effective fire.

T.

Prev: [GZG] FMAS Thrust Next: Re: [GZG] FMAS Thrust