Prev: [GZG] Language Use - was Re: GZG official news - we've moved premises! Next: [GZG] Language Use - was Re: GZG official news - we've moved

Re: [GZG] Language Use - was Re: GZG official news - we've moved premises!

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:03:35 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Language Use - was Re: GZG official news - we've moved premises!

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 05:45:33PM -0400, Tom B wrote:

>Listening to BBC radio (which I love for the most part), I am left to
wonder
>whether the people who originated the language have forgotten how to
speak
>it!

The BBC charges for internal use of its Pronunciation Unit, so most
programme-makers don't bother.

They have also had for some years a policy of hiring people with
regional accents, presumably on the basis that it's more important
for people occasionally to hear their home pronunciation than for them
to be able to understand what's going on the rest of the time.