Prev: Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re: Next: Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re:

Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re:

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 15:37:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re:

>  No problems, stuff comes up, I understand.
>

> Okay... I have another question which could be pretty important.  In
what
> order do the various defensive systems fire?	It would make some sense
for
> PDS to go before the lightning shield, so that the latter truly is a
> last-resort defensive weapon... but balance-wise, that's going to
steepen
> the curve where the shield isn't as good as the equivalent mass of PDS
at
> higher masses.

CIDS effectively fires last against inbound small targets.

Plasma bolts should be 6-only to hit as well.  Plasma's a pretty
expensive
> system to pile up on - at 5 mass per level, and you only get _one_
level
> that PDS can kill just as easily as fighters, that's not going to make
it
> too hard to knock down now unless you at least have to roll a 6, and
even at
> that, you're still making PDS three times as powerful against it.
(e.g. in
> my old games, we saw 5000 NPV fleets evolve towards carrying about 150
PDS.
> Back then that's good for killing 25 dice of plasma; now it'll be 75,
which
> will be prohibitively expensive to actually throw.)

You tend to play larger games than most groups I am familiar with, but
imo
that's okay. You help with seeing the breaking points on that extreme
end.
:-)

The counter-balance to the plasma bolt concern is that it is a renewable
resource, whereas missiles, and to a large extent fighters, are not. So
you
are paying for the ability (or privilege) of being able to fire multiple
times w/out worries about running out of ammo.

I'm suspicious that heavy fighters are going to get really, really
popular
> in this system.  You're effectively going to need to go with other
fighters
> to stop them this way.

These suspicions are things we want to see if they come to pass. Things
will
change whenever some aspect of the rules change. That's a given. But is
it a
desired or unforeseen result?

Note: as I mentioned earlier, we have not point-balanced things. But
that's
a whole different kettle of fish. I want to get a feel from the masses
how
the mechanic seems to feel, work, etc.

:-)

Mk