Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

From: Eric Foley <stiltman@t...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:27:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

>From: Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
>Doc <docagren@aol.com> wrote on 04/26/2010 04:28:19 PM:
>>From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@ozemail.com.au>

>> I'm updating Full Thrust: Cross Dimensions to revision 1.1 and am
>> asking for feedback.

>I give response with real trepidation; differences from original rules
have
>already started showing some resistance in other places to your rule
set.
>Is any of this actual results of suggestions from the playtest group?

Some of it was suggestions from me from my own playtesting; the
"official" playtest group doesn't seem to release its results publicly
very often, so for all I know I'm going to absolutely despise whatever
FT3 comes up with (especially if their beta fighter rules are any
indication).

>> * Turns in cinematic: half drive rounded UP or DOWN?
>> In FT 2, it was rounded up so a ship with drive 3 could turn 2
>> points. In 2.5, it was rounded down so drive 3 could only turn 1. In
>> FT Lite, it's back to rounding up which I copied for FT:XD. So, do
>> you play round down or up?

>>     We play here, with Round up, and I have a small Battle group
forming

>I never noticed it went to round down in 2.5; dopey moi. First reaction
is
>round up, old man does not do change well, but I think I'd prefer down.
Go
>figure.

I thought it was always round down.

>If this is in the original books, could someone point this out, i.e.
give
>page number(s), to me? In all the text, in all the examples, either
it's
>vague or using even numbers for velocity, at least as far as I can
find.
>We've always been happy with 'you can't do half a turn point, but you
can
>do half an MU...'

I'm pretty sure it was in Full Thrust (2) and/or FB1.

>> * Fighters
>> Planning to add that fighters with a higher move can break off from
>> dogfights without opponents getting a free shot. This is mostly to
>> provide a reason for using the fast fighter type.

>>     Speed should give some advantage

>The reason for fast fighters is to get there firstest with the mostest.
Do
>you think they are overpriced for that capability?

I do.  The only advantage I've seen, and this is dubious, is that maybe
you might be able to make sure that a dogfight happens further away from
your own ships.  It doesn't get you to enemy ships without having to
engage enemy fighters along the way, it gives you no advantages in
dogfights, and there's no mechanic for hit-and-run shooting or
maneuvering with the extra speed that gives the faster fighter an
advantage.  It's basically wasted points as it is in FT 2.5.

The rules I use go about like this:

- Fast fighters are +1 NPV per fighter, at 36 MU speed.
- Regular fighters are costed normally, at 24 MU speed.
- Slow fighters are -1 NPV per fighter, at 18 MU speed.
- Any faster grade fighter can evade dogfights with slower grade ones
without giving up a free shot.	Conversely, the slower grade fighter may
not evade the dogfight at all.
- A fighter that is two grades slower not only can't evade dogfights,
but the fast fighters get to shoot first and the slows only may return
fire afterwards with the survivors.  (i.e. slow vs fast is a pretty
catastrophic disadvantage in dogfights.)

I realize this won't work for everybody, but I kind of like it. :P

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1