Prev: [GZG] [OT] Re: Flames of War Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Flames of War

Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Flames of War

From: Fred Kiesche <godelescherbach@g...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:46:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Flames of War

I've been looking at FoW (but only have some of the modules--I did buy
the latest edition of "Command Decision"), but have no interest in the
models. Why not use 1:285 minis? Lots of ranges to choose from and I
think the game feels better at that scale.

(Basing that on how Command Decision worked out for me when I ran it
under the first and second editions--it is also a 15mm game, but in
running it with 1:285, ranges for travel and weapons felt more
realistic. IIRC, Frank Chadwick did have one change for the different
scale--either swapping centimeters for inches in doing range, travel,
etc. or the other way around--the opposite of what is listed for the
15mm game in the book.)

On 4/21/10, Michael R. Blair <pellinoire@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think part of my 'sticker shock' reaction to Flames of War is that I
am
> comparing the AFVs with 20mm plastic kits, particularly the quick
build
> wargamers' ones that many of the model companies seem to be releasing
now
> which is a major strength of 20mm – though outside of WW II the kits
> available decline sharply – though Emhar do what AFVs you need for
the Great
> War and there are probably far more modern kits than I am aware of. Oh
dear,
> you might have persuaded me to take another look at it.
>
> Yes, TT seems to be one of those funny European scales that exists in
its
> own little world (a bit like OO if I stop being anglo-centric for a
moment).

> Michael

F.P. Kiesche III  "Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book.
Always, scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on
being presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman
Empire.) Blogging at The Lensman's Children
(http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/).

Prev: [GZG] [OT] Re: Flames of War Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Flames of War