Prev: [GZG] New Toys for Salute Next: Re: [GZG] New Toys for Salute

Re: [GZG] New Toys for Salute

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:12:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] New Toys for Salute

> The new stuff looks lovely. I will have to consult with others in our
group
> but 2010 might be the year of 15mm for us – particularly as I know
some of
> them are very keen to get into Flames of War – the appeal of that
slightly
> passes me by, the models are nice but seem to be horribly expensive
and I
> have too much invested already in 20mm WW II – and as if that had
stopped me
> in the past.

I think that FoW isn't that much more expensive than, say, Jon's range
of
vehicles. I believe any of Jon's vehicles that go for 7.5 pds or more
are
comparable or more expensive than the FoW vehicles (which are mostly $11
US). But balancing that out, anything under 7.5 pds is cheaper than the
FoW
line.

Then again, I'm looking at it from the US perspective. I don't know how
much
FoW stuff goes for across the pond.

> This does beg the slightly OT question, how easy is it to make 15mm
> terrain? I am an old hand at 28mm terrain but even 20mm has scared me
off in
> the past – I think one word 'bricks' will explain why though of late
I have
> been dabbling with brick textured plastic card with mediocre results
– still
> better than expected and good enough. You do not need bricks for SF
either
> which is nice.

I home-make some terrain (hills and the like), but for buildings, or
bases,
or stuff like that, I go with pre-made (JR Miniatures, Kerr&King, etc).

> Is N gauge model railway stuff too small for 15mm figures? I am pretty
sure
> it is, it seems to be a good match for 10mm in theory, but it seems
worth
> asking someone who has seen the elephant.

TT scale is about right for 15mm. However...TT scale is hard to find (at
least in the States), and is bloody expensive. :-/

Mk

Prev: [GZG] New Toys for Salute Next: Re: [GZG] New Toys for Salute