Prev: Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to dodge beams and other weapons? Next: Re: [GZG] Firecon chart/list?

Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:33:21 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to

Tom B wrote:
> I'm not sure there is any quantifiable difference between
acceleration/deceleration stresses and cornering stresses (heavy lateral
G loads there) in F1 and the same sorts of stresses in (for instance)
fighter planes. They have afterburners, arrestor cable landings, and
very heavy G loads during manouvers. G-suits help the guys in the
planes, I see no reason to believe that they would not help F1 drivers
to some extent.

I'm a bit dubious regarding the use of g-suits in F1, mostly because I
don't know how they'd work against lateral accelerations -- and I wonder

if anyone else does. The big difference between fighter g loads and F1
g's is in the direction of the acceleration. In the examples you give
above, Tom, there are AB and trap loads, which are basically
fore-and-aft (longitudinal) loads, to which could be added catapult
launches, probably the greatest of the lot; and there are turning loads,

which are normal accelerations. These are in different directions (x and

z respectively, in terms of body axes) and, AFAIK, g-suits don't do much

against the longitudinal cases -- but they don't have to, because the
highest loads (5.5 g on a cat launch) don't last very long, and the
sustained loads (AB accel) aren't that great -- if you can achieve 1 g
and hold it for any length of time, you're doing well. The normal load
-- what we normally think of as g's pulled -- are what a g-suit,
together with straining manoeuvres, is intended to relieve, but you
don't get them in an F1 car in the same way (or if you do, you're
probably about to crash because you've left the track and are most
likely in mid-air). The highest g loads in F1 are the lateral cornering
loads, which are in the y direction in terms of body axes, and you don't

get them much in flight; they would require sustained, heavy sideslip
and, with the exception of a few experimental types, that's not
something that's achieved or wanted in an aircraft.

Of course, I'm no aviation medic, so maybe I'm wrong. Anyone know for
sure?

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to dodge beams and other weapons? Next: Re: [GZG] Firecon chart/list?