Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B) Next: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:18:42 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

At 4:27 PM -0500 15/1/10, Tom B wrote:
>This breaks down when:
>
>1) At one point of this or the next turn (depending on your
>assumptions) you were out of range or arc. In this sort of situation,
>your fire should be less effective for a round if it really is
>continous fire.

Yeah, but that's not a new problem and as you point out
later on, happens in any system where you change facing
during a segment/impulse/turn.

>2) You die. That particularly affects Hugh's assumption because if you
>blow up during a fire resolution after firing, and the assumption is
>you were firing half way into next turn, some of your damage output
>for the round was too great because you are no longer there to
>complete the firing!

No it doesn't, because you may not die until the middle
of the next turn - enemy fire is staggered as well.
Removing the model at the end of this turn is just to
save writing and plotting movement for a ship that will
never shoot or need to be shot at.

There's still the "I died before I could shoot" issue
which isn't realistic if weapons fire represents the
combined effects of several minutes fire. This can be
avoided altogether by resolving thresholds at the end
of the turn (as in Starmada) or handwaved by saying that
the first shot actually made a combat kill and all the
fire after that was just "Are they dead? Keep firing
until they absolutely, positively, are!"

>Maybe the only real solution to this problem overall is going with
>small time/distance assumptions that allow thrust and fire to be
>discrete items (thrust and rotation still should not be, but with
>small enough chunks of time, there's a sense that this issue isn't
>large).
>
>Or go buy Attack Vector, as Bob says.

I have a copy. It's ... interesting. I've never been
able to persuade someone to play it with me, and the
rule authors (well, Ken Burnside) are adamant that
it's unfair to judge the game just by reading it and
that it becomes much easier when actually played.

	cheers,
	Hugh