Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:14:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

One thing to keep in mind in your discussions with Oerjan:, he works in
the
weapons development field. He knoweth very well what he speaketh. He was
also our number one front line man in working up mass/cost points in the
FB
material when it was being developed, so his numbers will usually be
spot
on.

:-)

Mk

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Charles Lee <xarcht@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wish I could meet you in person. I'ld shake your hand. A calm and
logical
> debater. We may not agree but I think both are lookin at the others
evidence
> and thinkin.
>

> --- On *Wed, 1/13/10, Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@comhem.se>*
wrote:

> From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@comhem.se>
> Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships
> To: gzg-l@mail.csua.berkeley.edu
> Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 5:36 PM
>

> Charles Lee wrote:
>
> > Thank you for responding with logig and fact. The fact that so much
has
> come to lead this time is evidence that missles and guided munitions
are
> powerful.
>
> Of course they are. If they weren't, no-one would bother buying them.
>
> > But think of the fact it took over two or three decades to come
closer.

> Except that it didn't. What took most of those two or three decades
was for
> the (western) defence politicians to decide that the threat was
serious
> enough to spend the money to develop a specific counter-technology.
Once the
> money was granted, actually developing the counter-tech has usually
taken
> around *one* decade, or less - and that's in peacetime. War tends to
speed
> things up considerably. Also, Soviet/Russian and Israeli defence
politicians
> have historically been *way* quicker to open their purses for defence
tech
> developments - though their purses aren't as big as the western ones,
and
> many of their achievements haven't been widely published in the west
until
> recently.
>
> In the ATGM case, the first major use of ATGMs in combat was the Yom
Kippur