Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] Missile technologies - was Monster ships

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:23:07 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

TomB wrote:

>If you didn't put reasonable point costing on HTM/HMs (and I haven't
>heard OA or anyone say what that would be) but kept the old-school
>behaviours, then you've got a very long range, very selective weapon
>for an overly cheap price.

If you kept the old-school *manoeuvrability* for
the MTMs as well (ie. "launch straight ahead and
make a single up-to-60° course change at the
mid-move point each game turn") and played on a
largish or floating table, you'd also have a
system that is relatively easy for a thrust-4
Cinematic ship to outmanoeuvre - either by flat
out outrunning them, or by overflying them so
your ships end their move >6mu behind where the
missiles began the turn (ie., >6mu behind where
the missiles are when you write your movement
orders). In my experience MTMs were only really
lethal against targets with thrust-2 or less, or
on tables small enough for them to pin their
targets against an impenetrable table edge - and
that was with the MT rules for shooting them down :-/

>I was pleasantly surprised by the idea of FTL-bombing banzai jammers.
>That's a technique I hadn't thought of. Mind you, for that matter, you
>can use this technique beyond just engaging banzai jammers... you can
>use it to actually attack big ships. [...]
>
>Was there not a change at some point to let the ship doing so die but
>fail to damage others just to avoid this sort of thing?

Only discussed on that other mailing list AFAIR...

Regards,

Oerjan

Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] Missile technologies - was Monster ships