Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: Charles Lee <xarcht@y...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:21:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

MT missles are simply bigger and more fragile versions of a salvo
missle. My answer is who has served in the modern military and why are
smart weapons so denied. These are people that think a defensive weapon
is so great while in reality defence lags behind offence in weapon
technology.

From: Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com>

To: gzg-l@mail.csua.berkeley.edu
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 11:34 AM

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM, John Tailby <john_tailby@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

Not really sure what you mean by banzi jammers and it depends on your
rules about mixed and on table hyperspace assaults. We don't allow mixed
on table and hyper assault games because it makes it too easy to just
jump accross the table and do you might as well equip all ships with
close range weapons if you can tactical jump.

Banzai Jammer was a termed coined years ago for small, usually
nigh-worthlesss ships (scouts, corvettes, etc) to surround larger
targetable ships to self-intercept salvo missiles. Given the current
rules for salvos (attacking closest target, irregardless of targets in
the attack envelope), sacrificing a 6- or 10-mass ship to several swarms
of salvo missiles is highly cost-effective in saving the larger ship,
which could, in turn, blast the snot out of the salvo missile firing
ship.

If I understand Eric's paragraph correctly, I believe he was suggesting
that while banzai jammers are easy to kill with anti-ship (i.e., beam)
fire, having a bunch of them means not all may be killed off in one turn
by direct-fire ships. So the easiest way to eliminate the horde of
banzai jammers would be to send a similar horde of dinky ships into
point-blank range and having them fire up their FTL drives, blowing all
the tiny ships (including the banzai jammers) to smithereens.

Mk

PS: amusing to see the number of replies in this thread and the subject
line of the thread; I think this has become one of the larger/largest
on-going threads we have had here in a long, long time