Prev: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns Next: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns

Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:18:15 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 09:12:41AM -0500, Robert Mayberry wrote:

>The tabletop games that result should represent narrative "turning
>points". They should either be critical moments in the war when
>everything turns on the skill and courage of a few men or engagements
>that are meant to be typical of how the war was going in general at
>that moment.

I think you may be a genius.

The problem I've met with Full Thrust campaign systems (most certainly
including ones I've worked on myself) is that if tactical considerations
feed up into the strategic level - at the simplest level, "I won this
battle, so I'll have more forces available for the next battle and my
enemy will have fewer" - then one side tends to build up a momentum that
makes the later battles rather less fun for the other side. (It's
entirely realistic, of course...)

I think that one might implement your idea mostly at the campaign level:
"You won this battle, therefore you have a material advantage and things
go your way for a while. So instead of playing through the next year
in monthly turns, we'll just skip ten turns ahead to when the enemy
breakout attempt happens..."

Prev: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns Next: Re: [GZG] ground combat campaigns