Prev: Re: [GZG] Measuring and Vector Next: Re: [GZG] Opening a can of worms

Re: [GZG] Opening a can of worms

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:04:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Opening a can of worms

Just for clarification, while Allan is correct that I'd defend to the
virtual death my right to play at home with premeasuring allowed, I do
not
demand anyone NOT use as, a rigidly enforced house rule, guesstimation
only, even at me. It's just my decision if I'll play, and I will. I love
an
extra excuse for getting creamed other than I'm just dumb.

However, do expect me to yell if someone takes time minutely measuring
every possible step every turn. 'Waving the tape' actually works well
and
quickly, and I can only imagine simply painted sticks could even be
quicker.

I was just suggesting that, for a cinematic learning turn or three, me
plotting my move first, then putting out markers for the boundaries of
my
final positions and directions,

Here is where I'd be if I used NO thrust,
Here is where I'd be if I used full thrust forward and pointed straight
ahead,
Here is where I'd be if I used full thrust reversed and still pointed
straight ahead,
Here is where I'd be if I used half thrust, rounding down, in a port
turn,
the rest for the turn, and pointed to the left,
Here is where I'd be if I used half thrust, rounding down, in a
starboard
turn, the rest for the turn, and end up 'mirrored' to the last option,
etc.

giving the extremes to show those boundaries, and allowing the learner
plot his options based on the outline of my possibilities staring him in
the face.

The first turn is excruciating long (I drew up but never used a template
with 'canned' starting speed), but gets the basics down pat, and even
gives
experience for doing the eyeballing.

I will say the testimony of several folk that they prefer Vector because
they find it easier to play well, and not merely they are above mortals
such as myself, which they are, will cause me to give it another go.
Individually, because I still can't work up a play time to save what I'd
laughingly call a soul...

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] Measuring and Vector Next: Re: [GZG] Opening a can of worms