Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

Re: [GZG] First SF Game

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:58:54 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] First SF Game

's /StarForce/ was my first SF game and first space game, waaaay back
in 1974, followed the next year by /Alien Space/ and, when it came out,
the /StarFleet Battle Manual/, which was my first miniatures game
(/really /wish Zocchi had done those AS minis). Somewhere about the same

time, I picked up /StarSoldier/, which is one of my very few Gropo
games.

Was an early RPGer (D&D in '76), but never took to /Traveller /and
no-one I knew was interested in it either. I didn't really get into SF
RPGs until FASA brought out /Star Trek/; I ran two campaigns for that
game which lasted for two or three years each, and we had a lot of fun
-- the "crossover" adventure between Fred Saberhagen's Berserker series,

the Borg and SPI's /Stainless Steel Rat/ game still stands out in
memory. :-D   Used the STSCS for the space combat rules, and still think

they were one of the best systems for combat in an RPG that I've come
across.

I picked up SFB when the first boxed game came out, and played it for
quite some time, but grew more and more disenchanted with it as ADB
moved it further and further away from Trek into their own little
universe, ruining the game as they went by homogenising everyone's ships

(and, of course, Steve Cole's blatant worship of the Klingons),
eventually giving it up not long after Volime III of the Commander's
Edition came out. By then, I had a large selection of the minis, plus
quite a few FASA ones as well.

A couple of years later, I ran across the SFSFW's Trek FT game at a
local con and had so much fun with it, as did my sons, that I bought FT,

MT, etc., and a load of GZG ships. The rest is history... ;-)

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game