Prev: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game Next: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:05:01 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

Well, it's a matter of taste of course, but I don't buy the "If
you're going to include anything you can't patent tomorrow, you might
as well ignore science" argument. To me at least there's a difference
between, for example, including fusion rockets (we know fusion is
possible, we understand the nuclear mechanisms involved, and we can
even make it happen when we want, but we're nowhere near the
technology to use it for spacecraft propulsion) and throwing in
"reactionless drives" (which would shatter the structure of physics
all the way back to Galileo).

I find story worlds that *don't* limit their options boring. If the
characters regularly escape life-threatening situations by pulling
super-powers out of their backsides (Yes, Dune prequel novels, I'm
looking at you), or "reversing the polarity of the tachyon
emitters" (Hi there, Star Trek), I believe that suspense and dramatic
tension are completely vitiated. For me, all story worlds *need*
serious constraints. They need hard, sharp corners for the characters
to bang their shins on, whether they're detective stories, Napoleonic
naval sagas, or science-fiction.

Best regards, Robert Bryett