Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

[GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:07:44 -0400
Subject: [GZG] First Sci-Fi Game

t's a good question. That was a long time ago (and it seems like in a
galaxy far-far away). I'd guess Traveller in 1981. But it might have
been:
Traveller, Gamma World (1st ed), Star Frontiers, Aftermath, Morrow
Poject,
S3: Expidition to the Barrier Peaks, some Blackmoor stuff or ???? (there
are
some other vague memories so vague I can't even latch onto the game
system)

The only one that had much traction was Traveller. Gamma World was
silly.
Aftermath was rules heavy (but had an excellent feeling to the setting).
Morrow Project likewise. Star Frontiers was just plain playable and fun
-
before minis, having the map and chits made for a fun game (that whole
range
- Gangbusters, Boot hill, Star Frontiers... all of them were fun).
Barrier
Peaks was a guilty pleasure, but wrecked D&D campaigns. I was young too
and
that helped in the enjoyment.

Since then, others have come and gone: Traveller versions (MT, TNE, T4,
Mongoose, T20, T5), Serenity, Stargate SG-1, Star Wars (D6, D20, Saga),
Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2020, Traveller 2300 (before it was 2300 AD,
punks!), 2320 AD, High Colonies, Babylon 5, The Star Trek RPG, others I
can't even recall.

I like the settings of many games and (like Allan) have become less fond
of
their rules - D20 for SW, Stargate, Modern are all kinda gross. D&D...
gross, but at least sorta works (until mid to high level). Traveller has
had
several okay rules cuts (MegaTrav rules - skill system - especially).
White
Wolf had a good basic engine (Storyteller) and so do some other games,
but
they lack the licenses or resources (or interest) to produce some of the
most interesting settings. Serenity is a good setting, but I don't like
the
rules and think BSG must use similar rules. Similarly, Spycraft - nice
idea,
less messy that Top Secret, but still not as easy to run as it should
be.

I never did get to play Empire of the Petal Throne, Metamorphisis Alpha,
etc. I wish I had. For some reason the name Tekumel comes to mind too
(but
it may have been Fantasy, not Sci Fi).

In the long run, hard sci games will be boring. No FTL = years of time
in
transit = not a lot of dramatic tension just character aging. Other
similar
realities will signifcantly distract from fun (try to do the math to put
your ship into orbit... or to intercept another ship in space....).
Attack
Vector might be more realistic than most and can be fun, but my lord
does it
have some complexity.

So I think I'll stick with Traveller and maybe 2320 AD or Traveller
2300.
They have compelling settings and tolerable rules. Star Wars will get
played
at times, because it has sentimental value. Most of the others are just
studies in old game design now...

TomB

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine