Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:27:47 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Change to 15mm Free Trader Crew.....

,

I've got probably a thousand of your 25mms. I have WEG SW figures. I
have
Denizen Ventaurians, Mid-Tech Marines, and some Federation troops. I
have
old (Grenadier?) Traveller true 25mm. The Rattlehead Games figues are
25mm
it seems. Battletroops - got them. Some of the star wars clix (esp
aliens
and thinner/smaller humans) can fit well with true 25mm. Assault group
troops claim to be 28mm, but if mounted on a penny, they look like
26-27mm
at most. They fit just fine with my GZG troops (except the overthin old
NAC
figures). So there are still a lot of lines that you can buy that are
smaller end of 28mm and most of your recent 25mm sculpts have been a bit
heftier so they work well together (new NAC, for instance).

The question in making any figures is obviously one of return. There are
lot of variances in 28mm lines. I don't think the GW market is for you
necessarily - they're caricature figures. Yours don't have that
sensibility
and people who'll play games where a chainsaw hand is deadlier than a
blaster aren't likely to be much interested in realistic looking figures
(exceptions will exist).

There are a sufficient number of sci fi true 25mm lines if you look
around
or small 28mm that are closer to 26-27mm and fit fine once painted and
based
to justify (I think) doing a few more 25mm sculpts. You've already got
great
lines of 25mm stuff. Presumably you still have the master figures so
could
replace moulds. Unless you were planning on moving a lot of stuff over
28mm, you'd end up with two figure scales and they might not look good
together.

I think also that, with the cost of white metal (likely to continue to
escalate), we'll eventually see anyone who wants to play anything other
than
RPGs or games with less than 20 figures a side start to scale back scale
(arguably, this might mean 15-20mm). True 25mm still has a niche though.

I bought some of your 15mm stuff and they are nice, but I've realized
with
aging eyesight that I will never be able to paint them acceptably. Given
painting costs me about the same on 25mm and 15mm (both are a pain for
painters to do camouflage on and the detail on 15mm makes painting a bit
slower to do a good job), I'm not likely to be rushing to buy big 15mm
armies.

I'm only one opinion, but I think true 25mm still has life and your
existing
ranges are so good that stepping into incompatible territory would be a
shame. You could scale creep a bit towards 26-27mm without too much pain
and
call them 28mm (be small for standard 28mm and real small next to
Giganto
28mm Heroic aka 30-32mm figures, but you can't have it all...).

For RPG and Skirmish use, 25mm is still a good scale visually. 15mm
tends to
lack the range of figure poses and the detail and is quite a bit harder
paint to the same level of quality. 28mm works for RPGs, but I find most
28mm figures are steroidally enhanced, melee loving, animal skin wearing
half-man, half-GWborg figures. Not very (even scifi) realistic and not
very
appealing.

Tom B

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine