Prev: Re: [GZG] FMA multiple activations [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] Cylonbasestars+pds [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] FMA multiple activations

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:55:49 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] FMA multiple activations

I remember (dimly) playing Wargames Research Group ancient/mediaeval
rules (6th edition?) that attempted to simulate precisely this
reliability of "regulars" by using "average dice" (d6 marked
2,3,3,4,4,5) for regular troops such as Roman legions, but normal d6
for tribal bands, feudal levies etc., in rolls for morale/reaction,
weapon effect etc. I don't remember, but I'm sure that, then as now,
there was lively debate as to how well this simulated reality...

I don't know how you'd set about doing something similar with the FMA
system. I confess that I'm not all *that* interested in elites vs.
hordes of mooks in games. I did most of my mediaeval gaming in a
fantasy Italian "condottiere" campaign based on Raphael Sabatini's
novel "Bellarion", so generally there wasn't a huge difference
between the troops on each side.