Prev: [GZG] 25mm Resin Vehicles Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm Resin Vehicles

Re: [GZG] 15mm figure skirmish basing

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:48:39 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] 15mm figure skirmish basing

>Ok, St. Jon wrote on 03/05/2009 10:40:55 AM:
>
>>  >Having had problems with figs based on cardboard squares, I'd
probably
>go
>>  >with sheet styrene, and stick the mag sheeting to it instead. Easy
>cut
>>  >in 1/2" strips, then chop 1/2" squares. The styrene is pretty
light, but
>>  >the added bulk of the mag vinyl should be sufficient for 15mm, as
long
>as
>>  >they aren't scaled seven foot, genetically maladjusted freaks of
nature.

>>  Of course, if you want to go the styrene sheet route then just buy a
>>  sheet of Evergreen 1/2" tile, and snap it into single squares - that
>>  way you don't even need to do any measuring, marking or cutting, and
>>  you end up with nice little bevelled edges on the bases too. Get
some
>>  1/2" magnetic strip, stick lots of the Evergreen squares to it and
>>  trim to length, and you're there!  :-)
>
>Ah, I've not seen this amongst Evergreen's stuff, but it makes perfect
>sense, and
>a great idea with the 1/2" mag strips. I've been wanting to put some
>micromachine
>figs on bases for years, and this may be the simplest way.
>
>Star Wars Miniatures, the travel edition! Thanks!
>
>I've thought about just adhering a paper-punch dot of mag sheet to the
base
>of the fig,
>but this would be far better.
>
>I'll probably still scribe the back of the sheet; I seem to be well
able to
>deform
>in nasty ways styrene, even when it's propped against a nice, sharp
table
>edge.

Trust me, you really don't need to do that. The Evergreen tile
(especially in the larger tile sizes like the 1/2" we're considering)
is very, very easy to snap into squares just with finger pressure.
The only time I ever take a scalpel to it is if I'm cutting some of
the very tiny tiles (1/8" and smaller) where you just can't hold them
firmly enough to snap off a single strip. The beauty of it is that it
snaps cleanly every time, you don't even need to take a file to the
edges of the squares.

Note that I have NOT used this idea for figure basing myself - it
just came to me while I was reading the various posts on this thread,
as I use a lot of the Evergreen stuff in building masters it just
seems so obvious that I wonder why I never thought of it for bases
before!

Now that I've thought of it, I'll have to try it to base up a few
individuals (command figures, characters etc) to go with my group
based troops which are mainly on FoW bases.  :-)

Jon (GZG)

>Eli-
>>  Out buying terrain supplies last night and I thought of this post
and so
>decided to go
>>  price washers as it had been a bit since I actually had. It was
crazy.
>For a hand full of
>>  washers the price was over $2.
>
>Isn't it just? Had the same reaction, and I went looking awhile ago.
They