Prev: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm Next: Re: [GZG] QUESTION Re: Walkers in 15mm

Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm

From: Robert Mayberry <robert.mayberry@g...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:29:59 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Walkers in 15mm

interest is in the infantry walkers, which I use as super-heavy power
armor in Dirtside. I currently use Battletech power armor in 6mm, which
comes out to about 4-5 meters. I'm looking for a 15mm equivalent; thanks
the suggestions, I'll take a very close look at heavy gear 25mm.

The utility walkers (heavily converted GW epic sentinels) look like
armored
boxes on chicken legs, designed to be cheap, light-weight and mobile.
The
combat versions look like double-size power armor (which of course is
what
they are). Either way, their armor is only supposed to stop
anti-personnel
weapons. Against heavy weapons they use terrain, mobility and small
size.

Such designs should do well in a variety of rough terrain situations,
even
uninhabitable planets. In combat, I use them for orbital drops to
support
power armor infantry and clear a landing zone. I suspect that twelve
foot
humanoid vehicles would also be very useful in urban combat, having a
mobility advantage over conventional jeeps, tanks and APCs. They're also
useful for utility work, even aboard ship, so I have a few converted
utility
walkers designed for EVA and ground engineering work. They're a
specialized
but very important unit.

I'm not a fan of the "giant tank on legs" concept, but of course many
don't
like infantry walkers, either. I agree completely that the BF2142 look
has a
very high "cool factor" and looks like something designed to be actually
used by someone, though the legs look a bit heavy.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Roger Burton West
<roger@firedrake.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:08:13PM -0500, Tom B wrote:
>
> >I think there would be a niche to build such a 'rational' heavy
walker,
> >although I guess there could be arguments for quadrupedal. Octipedal
or
> >hexipedal seems a bit complex to me (both to model and in terms of
the
> >mechanics) but is probably a bit more resilient from combat damage
(three
> >legs or five legs can work).
>
> It's also easier to "hunker down" with an insectile or arachnoid
> leg-plan, i.e. where the legs are basically starting off out to the
side
> of the body rather than being below it. (In a setting where I was
> building near-current-tech walkers, they were essentially tanks with a
> profoundly rearranged drivetrain and consequent changes to internal
> structure, meant for fighting in urban and recently-urban terrain.)
I'm