Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:02:13 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

Erm? Absolute statements like that always make me twitch.

While it's certainly true that body armour was not widely used by
ground troops during this period, there certainly was technological
development in the field. Other posters have referred to the use of
armour in the trenches of WW1, and so-called "bullet-proof vests"
were sold commercially in the inter-war period. More importantly,
first the British RAF and later especially the United States Army
Airforce sponsored a lot of work on body armour for aircrew, and
hundreds of thousands of sets were manufactured and deployed by the
end of WWII. Similar armours were also issued to naval personnel in
WWII and saw some use by US ground troops in Korea, especially the
thirty-odd thousand issued by the Marine Corps.

There's a reason why the generic name for body-armour in the modern
era is (or maybe *was*) "flak jacket"; they descended from the "flak
suits" worn by bomber crews, and were intended to stop relatively low-
velocity splinters and fragments, although the were also effective
against low-performance bullets.

Oh, and let's not forget the first piece of body armour for the
modern era. The humble tin hat...

Best regards, Robert Bryett