Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

From: Chip Dunning <chip.dunning@g...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 05:41:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Allan Goodall <agoodall@hyperbear.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>
wrote:

>> Thus, at the end of the day, it's about hover and grav tanks,
>> power-armoured infantry, lasers and plasma guns, FTL travel etc etc -
>> they may not make a lot of sense when you look at the science behind
>> them, but they are firmly entrenched in the genre, so they'll be in
>> the game!  ;-)
>
> There's nothing wrong with genre emulation. One of my favourite RPGs
> is _Feng Shui_ (Hong Kong action movies, essentially). I've been known
> to use "plasma" guns from time to time, too.
>
> I just find the juxtaposition of "bolt action rifles versus power
> armour is not realistic" coupled to a game with plasma guns quite...
> humorous.

Why?

Can there be no primitive societies in a universe that also has
power-armored marines? A human wave vs a small squadron simply trying
to get back to a safe zone. Germans armed with bolt-action rifles at
the start of WWII also have 20mm armed tanks and the powerful 88mm.

Chip
-----
"The reason the mainstream is considered a stream is because it's so
shallow" --George Carlin

Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels