Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:30:43 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

>On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Doug Evans
><<mailto:devans@nebraska.edu>devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:
>

>By the way, I thought plasma weapons were quite common. Isn't that what
>shaped charge round is? Is the 'plasma jet' not true plasma?
>
>The_Beast
>

>Shaped charges aren't plasma - they are more like metal particles
>accelerated to ridiculous speeds - such as molten copper that acts
>like a solid spear due to the pressures of formation (i.e. even
>water can penetrate steel if you have enough pressure).
>
>Plasma is more along the lines of ionized gas - very hot, but not
>very substantial  - so in theory it can be blocked or diffused by
>almost any matter such as air, fog, a leaf or dust in the air.
>
>--Binhan

The thing is that, when we are trying to write a generic set of SF
rules, the only "source material" we can draw upon is a fusion (pun
intended...) of the most popular concepts and ideas in published SF.
Thus, at the end of the day, it's about hover and grav tanks,
power-armoured infantry, lasers and plasma guns, FTL travel etc etc -
they may not make a lot of sense when you look at the science behind
them, but they are firmly entrenched in the genre, so they'll be in
the game!  ;-)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels