Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:45:58 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 09:32:15AM -0600, Doug Evans wrote:

>By the way, I thought plasma weapons were quite common. Isn't that what
>shaped charge round is? Is the 'plasma jet' not true plasma?

It's a lot easier to make it work when it's close up. The classic plasma
rifle is basically a long stick of dynamite - you hold one end, your
enemy holds the other end, and you set it off. If you can get the stick
of dynamite to just outside the enemy's armour and set it off without
having to hold on to your end, it works a lot better from your point of
view.

In order to make it work you need to get all that nasty inconvenient
atmosphere out of the way - and anything that can do that will probably
do more damage to your target than the plasma will...

(But yes, they might be useful in space combat.)

Roger

Prev: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels