Prev: Re: [GZG] QUESTION: are SAWs becoming less significant...? Next: Re: [GZG] UN Recruiting Video

Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:45:41 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 00:02:23 John Atkinson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Bobby <hansuke@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Say the game system assigns tech levels from 1(stone age) to 20
(super
> > duper high energy users), and a TL 5 group come in contact with a
TL8
> > group for some reason. Could we then assign group one into the 2
category
> > and then assign group 2 into the 5 category?
>
> Not really.  The difference in firepower varies from tech level to
> tech level.  Up until magazine rifles are invented, it's a fair fight
> even if your opponents have flint arrowheads and simple reflex bows.

Not really. The 'arrow proof armour' used by heavy cavalry at
Verneuil was pretty immune to the English longbow. The latter gave
a big technical (though social and tactical elements were involved
also) advantage in the period before that.

There have been big technology improvements throughout history
which could render fights across early TLs not entirely fair.

Though, historically, complete lack of discipline and tactics
seem to have negated technological advantages in many cases
(again, see Verneuil[1]).

[1] http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/W/weapons/armour2.html

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk

Prev: Re: [GZG] QUESTION: are SAWs becoming less significant...? Next: Re: [GZG] UN Recruiting Video