Prev: Re: [GZG] UN Recruiting Video Next: Re: [GZG] UN Recruiting Video

Re: [GZG] QUESTION: are SAWs becoming less significant...?

From: Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@p...>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 19:59:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] QUESTION: are SAWs becoming less significant...?

Ground Zero Games wrote:

> Let's just assume for this example that a fireteam's base firepower
> (by weapons tech only, before modifying for troop quality) is 1 for
> PRIMITIVE weapons, 2 for BASIC and so on up to 5 for ADVANCED.  This
> is for a team armed with individual weapons ("rifles") only.
>
> Primitive (bolt-action rifles)				Base FP
= 1
> Basic (semi-auto rifles and early automatic rifles)		Base FP
= 2
> Enhanced (improved automatic rifles)			Base FP = 3
> Superior (gauss and energy weapons)			Base FP = 4
> Advanced (very-high-tech energy weapons)		Base FP = 5

I know this doesn't address your SAW question, but I think you should
drop the Primitive category and have something like this instead.

Basic (semi-auto rifles and early automatic rifles)	Base FP = 1
Enhanced (improved automatic rifles)			Base FP = 2
Superior (gauss )					Base FP = 3
Advanced (energy weapons)				Base FP = 4
Very Advanced (very-high-tech energy weapons)		Base FP = 5

I don't know how many folks want to run games where the low tech
opponents only have bolt action rifles. But (as an example) in the
Traveller universe there are tech levels where troops are armed with
plasma weapons which are then replaced by fusion weapons. I would argue
that a squad armed primarily with a gauss rifles compared to a squad
armed primarily with plasma rifles are not only going to have different
impacts, but markedly different firepower as well. This would allow you
to represent that while keeping your 1 - 5 scale.

-Mark Kinsey

Prev: Re: [GZG] UN Recruiting Video Next: Re: [GZG] UN Recruiting Video