Prev: Re: [GZG] Metal Primer Next: Re: [GZG] Metal Primer

Re: [GZG] Metal Primer

From: Andy Hemming <nonsense_factory@h...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:36:59 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Metal Primer

I've no idea personally, as I havent yet bought an airbrush due to
meoney constraints...

However I've discussed them, and would suggest going to a specific
miniature website with a forum to ask the same question, as I'm in the
uk, I generally use Frothers Unite's forum, I expect the miniatures page
message boards would provide good answers for the US.

Andy

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:04:51 -0800From: recursive_loop@yahoo.comTo:
gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.eduSubject: Re: [GZG] Metal Primer

Is the "bare metal" a miniature? Then that's what I use: the "base coat"
of whatever camo pattern I'm painting. If it is one solid color (e.g.,
WWII Sherman Grey), I "prime' it with that color, then bake it (lead or
pewter only--not plastic!) at 200 degrees F for 20 minutes. This helps
to "set" the paint. Then I do the other colors of the camo pattern, or
the treads, road wheels, baggage, machinegun, etc., etc., etc.
F.P. Kiesche III
"Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always, scribble,
scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being presented
with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at
The Lensman's Children and TexasBestGrok!--- On Mon, 1/26/09, Hudak,
From: Hudak, Michael <mihudak@state.pa.us>Subject: Re: [GZG] Metal
PrimerTo: "'gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu'"
<gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu>Date: Monday, January 26, 2009, 10:54
AM

What I meant to ask for is a primer to spray over bare metal.....  not a
metallic colored primer....  sorry.

Something I could run through an airbrush, as opposed to buying a can of
spray paint primer.  (Rustoleum comes to mind)

From: gzg-l-bounces@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu
[mailto:gzg-l-bounces@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Fred
KiescheSent: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:50 AMTo:
gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.eduSubject: Re: [GZG] Metal Primer

I generally primed with whatever the biggest color in the camo pattern
was (e.g., "Sherman Grey" or "MERDC Green") rather than a "metal
primer". Every coat you put on covers some detail, after all.
From: Hudak, Michael <mihudak@state.pa.us>Subject: [GZG] Metal PrimerTo:
"'Full Thrust list'" <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>Date: Monday, January 26,
2009, 8:05 AMHi everyone,

Anyone have any recommendations on a metal primer that can be sprayed
through
an airbrush?  I usually get some (I believe it's Testors, but could be
mistaken) at the local Hobbytown, but the bottles are very small.....

Looked at Pep Boys (auto parts store) and they have a quart of primer,
it looke
like it can be thinned.....  But it's $21 bucks a quart.  If it would
work,
then fine, but if it wouldn't work through an airbrush, well......
That's a big chunk to just toss away.

Any ideas, I'm open to 'em.  Gotta get moving before ECC.....

Mike Hudak
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary
and
those who don't.

Windows Live Messenger just got better .Video display pics, contact
updates & more.
http://www.download.live.com/messenger

Prev: Re: [GZG] Metal Primer Next: Re: [GZG] Metal Primer