Prev: [GZG] Traveller Battle Dress Next: Re: [GZG] Traveller Battle Dress

Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:53:22 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Evyn MacDude <infojunky@ceecom.net>
wrote:

>> 1) No human being can accurately fire small arms while moving at
>> 100kph, the top speed of a Classic Traveller Grav Belt.
>
> Really depends on the weapon and associated gear. From the shoulder I
can
> see your point, from a stabilized mount ala Aliens not such an issue.
This
> is really technical issue, not a hard and fast rule....

At which point you are basically treating them from a rules standpoint
as teeny-tiny vehicles rather than infantry.  Which I have no problem
with, but that wasn't the question originally asked.

>> 2) Running into trees and hills at 100kph is more or less fatal,
hence
>> the practical requirement to move higher if you are moving faster.
>
> Yes and no, you obviously have never ridden a motor bike through the
woods.
> 100kph is not really that fast.  Speed really should controlled by
troop
> quality instead of fiat. Though I would generally give lift equipped
> infantry scout movement.

I'm fairly certain your motor bike doesn't do 62 mph cross country
while dodging trees.  It may feel faster than it really is, but I'm
calling bullshit.

>> 3) Any fire control system on a military vehicle from a technological
>> base capable of providing grav belts can hit a target moving at
100kph
>> with ease.
>
> Well, yes, but this goes for all infantry, why you are making it
special
> case is beyond me.

Grav infantry is flying, which means they aren't using terrain to
conceal themselves.  Which is how infantry stays alive.  I don't know
how to make it any more Barney-style.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: [GZG] Traveller Battle Dress Next: Re: [GZG] Traveller Battle Dress