Prev: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives' Next: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:50:50 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

On Sunday 11 January 2009 02:30:25 Ryan Gill wrote:
> At 12:10 AM +0000 1/11/09, Samuel Penn wrote:
> >Computer assisted targetting and/or smart munitions might remove
> >human limitations from the equation.
>
> Then you're talking about power armor with grav/jump belt
capability...

Since we're referencing Traveller, this is what the standard
armour of the Imperial Marines is (at least according to
Ground Forces (GURPS supplement describing Imperial Marines
and Army), other Traveller iterations may vary).

> >>  3) Any fire control system on a military vehicle from a
technological
> >>  base capable of providing grav belts can hit a target moving at
100kph
> >>  with ease.
> >
> >According to GURPS Star Mercs, battledress had stealth as well,
> >which may help against forces who don't have the latest tech.
>
> You're going to handle being silhouetted from the
> sky how? You're going to have a signature.

Radical stealth, radical emissions cloaking and instant chameleon
features are built in as standard in Marines battlearmour.

Such tech most probably breaks the laws of physics, but compared
to grav belts it's pretty tame.

> You're
> not in the weeds, at some point you're going to
> make a VERY nice, crisp target to the mk1
> eyeball. With sufficient processing and good
> optical sensors, you're going to be nice and
> crisp as a target...
>
> It's kind of like choppers in combat. If you're
> up against a similar opponent, you're going to
> have to be VERY careful about how you use the
> tools. Great for approach march, not so great for
> the final run into the target. If they're lower
> tech, you're good. If they're NOT lower tech,
> then you're going to have a SERIOUS problem.

I did put the tech qualifier in for a reason, since equivalent
forces are going to have 'radical' sensors to spot you. The
MkI eyeball however isn't going to do you much good.

It is stated that the flight option is heavily discouraged
during battle, because you make a nice target.

I am in full agreement with you that it's going to depend
on what the opposition has available. Even a TL9 guerilla
army may well have a couple of TL12 anti-battlesuit PDS
they bought from somewhere.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk