Prev: Re: [GZG] Infinite Improbability Drive Next: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 07:56:56 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

>On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM, John Tailby
><<mailto:john_tailby@xtra.co.nz>john_tailby@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

>At the point where infantry don't need to touch the ground and can
>hover all game you have created flight packs rather than jump packs
>or boosted infantry.
>

>Well, the terminology is variable across the various sources I've
>been considering - if memory serves, Traveller grav belts do allow
>basically unlimited loiter times, which as you both point out is in
>fact actually flying infantry.  The source that's my
>primary reference for my current project is Revolt on Antares
>though, and while it's such an abstracted out little wargame that
>the actual mechanics of their 'Jump Troops' are obscured, they
>explicitly (in that ruleset) aren't allowed to end their movement
>turns over water, so I tried to imply that in my house rule.  I like
>your idea of treating them like motorcycles, but I can't find rules
>for that (or cavalry) in the SGII download - are they in there
>somewhere, and I'm just missing them?
>
>On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:06 PM, John Lerchey
><<mailto:lerchey@gmail.com>lerchey@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>The encumbrance of the jump packs is variable, based on your tech
>levels and background.  Lower tech = bulkier equipment.  You would
>not only have more weight and bulk to drag around, but also much
>shorter jump duration.  OTOH, if you have a significantly higher
>tech base, maybe using anti-grav packs to boost natural jump
>capability and ease landings, it might be no worse than carrying a
>canteen.
><shrug>
>

>This is sort of what I was trying to roll into the
>'low-tech/high-tech' distinction; obviously depending on what
>fictional/game/whatever setting you're trying to emulate these
>propulsion systems could range from big-ass turbofans to
>Rocketeer-style jetpacks to Traveller's unobtrusive grav belts.
>From the art on the Jump Troop chits in Revolt, their jump/lift
>units look pretty light and streamlined, not projecting terribly far
>beyond the shoulders of the trooper, who is himself fairly slender
>(at least when compared to the counterpart "Power Infantry"
>artwork).  For this particular setting at least, I don't feel like
>the jump units would be much harder to find cover in than their PA
>brethren.  I do figure that their weapons load and armor would be
>pretty light when compared to the PA guys, and probably lighter than
>normal footsloggers as well, but again this is sort of
>setting-dependent.  I'd like to develop a decent set of semi-generic
>house rules for the broad category of grav/lift/jump infantry
>however, as they're a recurring concept in lots of the stuff that
>I'd like to emulate with SGII!

Nice start with the houserules, look forward to seeing how the
develop......

Just on a (rather UNimportant) question of terminology, I'd always
considered that "LIFT Infantry" in TRAVELLER terms referred to the
fact that they were regular infantry mounted in Grav vehicles, rather
than being individually grav-equipped troopers (a bit like present
day "motorised infantry" don't actually have a lawnmower engine
strapped to their backs.... <grin>).

Jon (GZG)