Prev: [GZG] Infinite Improbability Drive Next: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

[GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

From: "Kenneth Coble" <kmcoble@g...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:44:28 -0500
Subject: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

everyone, just going pointed towards Stargrunt and GZG models a few days
ago, and I think the hook is well and truly set!  Now for some questions
that I hope you good people can help me with, as no one around here is
into
15mm stuff - yet!  I'm going to use Stargrunt II and (primarily) GZG
minis
to try and emulate and expand on the background provided in the great
old
TSR mini-wargame "Revolt on Antares."  This leads me to my two questions
for
the list; questions which I've also begun to ask on some Yahoo lists;
hopefully no one here is reading these for the third time!  If so, my
apologies....

1) One of the little background quirks of "Revolt" was the presence of
the
native inhabitants of Antares 9, who may or may not be the regressed
descendants of the ultra-tech species that once ruled the planet.  If
you're
not familiar with the game or the game counters, they're depicted as
vaguely
simian humanoids, basically equipped with stone-tipped spears and
loincloths.  I'm not looking for an exact match (that would be too
wonderful), but can any of you that are more familiar with 15mm minis in
general suggest something for a stone-age humanoid (but clearly inhuman)
force?

2) One of the other thing in RoA that made such an impact on me back in
the
day (I was around 7 or 8 if memory serves!) were the jump troops.  This
is
something I'd like to emulate in my SGII/RoA mashup, but I can't find
any
lift/jump/grav infantry troop movement rules mentioned in the SG rules I
downloaded.  Have any of you worked out any house rules of your own?
Here's
my first draft, I'd certainly appreciate comments/criticism of them as
I'm
worried I've made the jump troops too maneuverable.  On the other hand,
that
can be balanced by 'in-universe' notions of how lightly they should be
armed, but I'd like for the rules to be universally applicable, even for
more heavily armed grav infantry (like high-TL Traveller forces, for
example).

-----------
LIFT/GRAV/JUMP INFANTRY
Movement Rate: 10" or 12" (for 'low' or 'high' grav tech) [this is to
mirror
the nice divide between the low and high tech grav vehicles from GZG, as
well as similar divisions in stuff like Traveller, etc]

TERRAIN EFFECTS ON MOBILITY
CLEAR = Open, Light Scrub, Slopes, Roads, Rivers/Streams (crossing
only),
Cultivated, Swamp, Open Water*
POOR = Rough, all Woods
DIFFICULT =
IMPASSABLE = Open Water*

*=While lift infantry can indeed cross small stretches of open water,
they
cannot end their movement on it.
-----------

I know, special rules and exceptions are the bane of the house-rule
maker,
but this sort of mirrors the movement rules in my 'source material.'
Having
said that, I have actually considered making Open Water just flatly
impassable, as otherwise lift troops can basically go anywhere. On the
other
hand, in every setting where something
like this gets discussed, that's sort of the whole point of lift troops!

Another consideration is how stuff gets represented on the tabletop -
I'm
not really familiar with 15mm scale stuff; would a water effect less
than
10" wide really be big enough to count as open water, or would it be
more of
a river/stream crossing anyway?

That's probably enough for now.  Hope I haven't strained anyone's
patience,
and glad to have found this mailing list!